Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Mexican Chowder

On my last post, I got a comment from Mizz Ali asking me to post more often...

Believe me guys, I post as much as I can, but I really like to post only things related to teen vegetarianism or veganism... That topic is sort of limited, so I usually only post when I think of something to post about. This is why I encourage questions on my blog, so I know what people want to know about this topic. So, if there is something you'd like to know, please leave me a comment and I will do a post on it!

Anyway, I'm working on posting more myself by trying more new recipes so I can post them. I just realized I haven't posted this one yet! I originally got this recipe from Vegetarian Beginner's Guide, which is a book written by the editors of Vegetarian Times magazine. This book is sort of helpful, but it's written for adults who wish to become vegetarian. It has some very strange sounding recipes... Cucumbers with Garlic Yogurt, just to name one :) Garlic Yogurt? Really?! Haha, it may be very good, but it is pretty adventurous for a teen. As if eliminating meat wasn't hard enough already, now they're asking that you try all these weird things like Garlic Yogurt! This recipe however, was a little bit less strange. It was called Mache Chowder, but I made a few changes to make it New Mexican Chowder. Hope you enjoy it!

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 large green bell pepper, finely minced
1 medium stalk celery, finely minced
1 small onion, finely minced
1 clove garlic, minced
One 4 oz can green chillie peppers (chopped, not whole)
Two 15 oz cans cream-style corn
1 baking potato, chopped into small pieces
3 3/4 cups skim milk, soymilk, or rice milk
1 tablespoon miso paste (can be found in the Asian food section of your grocery store)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons finely mince parsley

1 In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, and green chillies. Cook, stirring constantly, until veggies wilt and are tender, but not brown.

2. Add corn, potato, and milk to mixture, stir to blend. Cook, stirring constantly, until warm. Add miso paste, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over very low heat about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in parsley and serve at once.

I'm not sure if this recipe would be very good vegan, since cream-style corn contains milk... you can try using normal corn, if you really want to try this vegan. Let me know if it's any good that way!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I know for a FACT that my mom will LOVE this ! She loves ANYTHING mexican or el salvadorian!

    ReplyDelete