Sunday, February 21, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

This recipe is a simple one pot meal that taste really good! I was just flipping through my recipe book, and I realized that I hadn't posted this one yet. It's one of the first I made as a vegetarian! I got this from, "Okay, So Now You're A Vegetarian" by Lauren Butts.

Two 15 oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
One 15 oz can vegetable broth
1 cup drained, crushed canned tomatoes
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp anchovy-free Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups hot, cooked white or brown rice

1. In a large, heavy pot, combine all the ingredients except the rice. Cover and simmer until the broth is slightly thickened and the beans are tender, about 45 minutes.
2. Let the beans sit for 10 minutes (or longer to let the flavors mingle) before serving. Use 1 cup cooked rice per serving, and spoon the beans over the top. Enjoy!

This recipe is vegan friendly!

Leave a comment and let me know how you like this recipe!

5 comments:

  1. Where do you get all of these recipes?? I loved your macaroni and cheese!

    -Gobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool, you tried it? Awesome! I get recipes from... everywhere! I get them mainly from my favorite cookbook, "Okay, So Now You're A Vegetarian" by Lauren Butts. But I have other books and websites I like to get them from, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey addie, sylvia here i have a good recipe you should try very simple. You take a peeled banana roll it in yogurt(plain)then roll it in granola .DONE well, eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and have you ever seen the magazine clean eating its not vegetarian but theres lot of things in there that dont have meat like tacos with beans instead of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, I'll be sure to check out the magazine and the banana recipe :)

    ReplyDelete