Saturday, February 20, 2010

Reassuring Parents: Family Mealtime...

I encountered this problem when I was becoming a vegetarian... I though a lot of other teens might too, so I thought I'd write a post on it!
"No, no, you can't be a vegetarian. The rest of us don't want to be vegetarians, and we certainly don't have time to cook two meals everyday"
"But Mom! I can cook my own food!"
"I'm sure you can. But we are a family, and we have to eat the same things!"
What do you do now? Argue, protest, move out, give up? No, none of those will work. Here's a better idea... try to eat what the rest of the family is eating, but, without the meat. Try making simple alterations to what the rest of the family is eating to make them vegetarian healthy! Here are some examples to get you started:

Meat as the main course:
Most likely, your family will have a side dish with this that won't have meat in it. Maybe you could have just the side dishes if they are rich enough in protein! If they aren't, you could offer to make another side dish that is rich in protein for you to eat.
Meat in soups/stews:
When you put it in your bowl, you can try to avoid dishing out the meat, and get just the vegetables.
Meat tacos/burritos/etc...
Try using beans instead while the rest of the family uses meat!
Spaghetti and meatballs/with meat sauce:
My personal favorite! Have mom set aside some sauce and put kidney beans in it. It tastes great!
And the best way to avoid eating meat...
Offer to cook for the whole family! My mom makes me cook one night a week for all of us, but sometimes I offer to cook more than one night a week because I love cooking so much. Choose yummy recipes you know your family will love, and chances are you will be asked to cook again.


No comments:

Post a Comment